Saturday, April 11, 2009

The thing I have been aiming for all week

Hooray for Jude! I have him on a pretty consistent night time routine, but daytime routines were eluding us. Since Miss Ellie was on spring break with her mommy, I thought that I would take this time to work on that area of our lives.

My plan was to put him down for 1.5 - 2 hour naps at 10ish and 3ish, however, my child has a hard time staying up for more than two hours at a stretch most of the time. So, he was always fussing by 9. All week I think that the longest nap that we got him to take may have been 55 minutes. So he was taking three and four naps a day -- really short naps! This may in part be due to this on-again-off-again low fever he's been battling since Monday.

So anyway, today was not much different in the beginning. He woke up for the day at 6:55 and was starting to get fussy around 9, but I managed to convince him to stay up until 9:20. I almost fell over with shock when he did not wake up from this nap until 12:15! Then we had a good old time. No fussy baby! Around 2ish we took our daily walk around the cemetery and as always, he fell asleep for in the stroller for the last 10 minutes of the walk. We cam home, played for a while and by 3:30 he was starting to fuss a little again. He was out by 4 and slept for another hour and a half. Then he was a happy boy all the way up until bedtime.

By 7:40 he was out for the night. And if I had to guess, I am sure he will sleep until his 3:30 feeding and then go back to sleep until 6:30/7ish. All this in time for Sunday which always shoots any semblance of a schedule out the window because he will NOT nap during church anymore. Oh, well. There's always next week.

P.S. No picture with the post today because my computer crashed so I'm blogging from our old Apple and I don't upload photos to this thing because it is already SOOOO SLOOOOOOW!

1 comment:

Sarah R. said...

i have found routine and a fairly consistent schedule to usually be really helpful with sleep issues. when both kids were about 4-6 months old i started doing a consistent routine before nap and bed time (read book, sing, etc.) - that always helped.
however, every child is different. jeremiah was an awesome napper while nathaniel always had difficulty. we finally figured out with nathaniel that he needs to have music.
and like you said, as soon as you think you have it down something happens to change the schedule or throw a wrench in the whole thing! :-)